As you might have noticed, we have recently added steam distilled essential oils to our collection. We have a large range of oils for a range of different purposes, all distilled here in the UK and, where possible, grown and hand-picked onsite at the distillery too.
How we make our Steam Distilled Essential Oils
All of our steam distilled essential oils are distilled here in the UK by the same family business suppliers that we launched our business with in 2016. Most of the oils are distilled from plants that are grown and handpicked onsite at the distillery. This helps us to massively reduce the carbon footprint of our essential oils because it means that the plants that are being used do not have to travel thousands of miles before being distilled and delivered to us in Lancashire. Furthermore, because they are distilled here in the UK they are not travelling very far at all during the whole manufacturing process and the use of a small family-run business in conjunction with our own small business, means that the environmental impact is kept to an absolute minimum.
What is steam distillation?
Steam distillation of essential oils works exactly the way that it sounds; the essential oils are collected from the plants through steam. It is a particularly good method of collecting essential oils as it ensures that only the purest end product is produced.
The plants are collected and placed in a heated chamber. The temperature and pressure within the chamber is maintained very carefully to avoid damaging the delicate chemical components of the plant to ensure that the oil produced is is aromatic and still has all of its wonderful properties. Steam is then passed through the chamber, carrying the oil, where it then condenses in another, cooler chamber. The water is then evaporated, leaving only the oil. This process takes varying amounts of time depending on the plant being used, but it is by far the most effective way of producing the best quality oils. More information on the process can be found here.
Valley Mist’s Steam Distilled Essential Oil Range
Here at Valley Mist we have a wide range of essential oils to suit all of your needs. However, if you’re looking for some recommendations I’ve included a few of my favourites here, including a brief description of their amazing properties:
- Known to improve mental function and refresh the senses when inhaled.
- Used topically in a carrier oil, it can be used to combat headaches, muscle, joint and nerve pains.
- It’s also known to be an effective natural insect repellent.
- Known to reduce anxiety and promote a feeling of calm when inhaled.
- Can reduce inflammation and aid skin healing when used in a carrier oil on unbroken skin.
- Naturally antibacterial and can be used to help fight acne-causing bacteria, as well as as a natural alternative to head lice treatment.
- Known to be uplifting and reduce feelings of anxiety and stress when inhaled. An excellent alternative for relieving anxiety if you don’t like lavender, bergamot has a much milder more earthy, grounding scent.
- Often used in home remedies to boost the immune system and works as a wonderful anti-inflammatory.
- Historically it has also been used in skincare to cleanse and condition the skin and today it is often found in anti-aging products.
- Eucalyptus’ powerful scent is known to banish brain fog to the outer recesses of your mind, almost immediately, clearing the mind and senses.
- It’s perhaps best known for it’s excellent decongestant properties, helping to open the airways and clear the sinuses.
- Anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory eucalyptus has been used for centuries to help prevent dandruff and can also be used as a pain reliever, especially for muscle aches when applied topically in a carrier oil.
Explore more of our wonderful steam distilled essential oils through the link below.