Why and how Valley Mist is working on all fronts to be a sustainable brand
- Valley Mist has been built from the ground up as a sustainable business, launched in 2016 with just four varieties of lip balm in a biodegradable paper tube. After nearly giving up, Blue Planet 2 was aired in 2017 and there was an almost immediate surge of interest in Valley Mist as people woke up to the urgency and the scale of the problem we have created on this planet. Driven by this greater awareness and a more conscious approach to consumerism, people have increasingly started to demand eco-friendly products and packaging and as a result Valley Mist now has over 20 plastic free sustainable products.
- 8.5% of profits from the paper tube lip balms goes to green cause charity, last year Valley Mist made the first charitable donation to the Lancashire Wildlife Trust.
Plastic free packaging
- All Valley Mist product packaging is either compostable, recyclable or reusable / refillable. All postage packaging is 100% plastic free. We often reuse the packaging that is sent to use from our suppliers so rarely do we need to order new boxes for our wholesale customers.
- All of the inks and printing materials we use are non-toxic and suitable for home composting which is something we regularly encourage our customers to do. Since the beginning of Valley Mist we have used various printers and were often left feeling ripped off and unappreciated. We are now delighted to have a local printing business who supply all of our printing needs, these guys went out of their way to help with our need for plastic free and non toxic inks and being just a short drive away our carbon footprint is looking much healthier.
- All cosmetic and wellness products are hand made in small batches in England by either myself Jo or one of the growing number of like-minded artisans I have teamed up with.
- It has taken years to bring Valley Mist to its current position as the development of various products started long before the launch of the business, for myself originally (Jo) and then increasingly for family and friends. Along the way I have had a number of failures and a build up of waste product, ALL of which I have carefully stored and not thrown away since 2014. The new range of aromatherapy candles that contain a proportion of that waste, closing the loop on the on the reuse/recycle front for these waxes and oils and therefore nailing it on the zero-waste front for Valley Mist .. very satisfying!
- This sums up the ethos of Valley Mist, to create the very highest quality natural products full of goodness, making the changes we want to see by treading as lightly as possible on the Earth and encouraging our customers to do likewise.
There are more things happening behind the scenes and I can’t wait to share some revolutionary news with you; my Instagram followers will already know about this bomb shell that is going to rock the cosmetic industry but for now I am going leave this there. Please follow us instgram to be the first to know….:-) @myvalleymistsmile